I was talking to my students the other day about the General Strike. Some said they were afraid. Others said that with the semester coming to a close, they couldn’t skip classes. So, here are a few thoughts: If you can’t strike on Tuesday, there are other things you can do to show support for the 99 percent.
1. Use an Occupy/99 percent themed avatar on Facebook.
2. Tumble something to show support for the movement even if your blog isn’t political.
3. Educate yourself on the practices of the worst bad guy banks — Bank of America, Wells Fargo — and leaflet customers at a branch. Explain toxic assets, churning etc. (Only do this if you feel well versed enough..)
4. Wear an Occupy/99 percent button, tee shirt etc.
5. Go to a local protest after work or class. Despite the impression given by the press, which always shows up for arrests and police battles, 99 percent of these protests are very tame!
6. Use shoe polish to paint, 99 percent or something like that, on your car for the day.
7. Hang a banner.
8. Move your money to a credit union or a small community bank.
9. Take a few minutes to join a food co-op or a food share. We are part of an agriculture share. The money goes straight to the owners of the farms where the organic produce is grown.